27 July 2012

Reader Punch Card

I found this fantastic pocket chart awhile back and wasn't sure about how I wanted to use it in my classroom.  I knew I was going to stray from its intended purpose. If you look at all the stuff that originally came with the pocket chart (see image further down), it was just way too busy for me!  In the end, I decided to make it a Reader Button Chart. 


This is the before image- a little busy right?
 It is called the Classroom Management Pocket Chart.

Each student will have a numbered button. I assign numbers at the beginning of the year, so they become  used to identifying with a number.  Behind each button, is another pocket.  This will be where they store their Reader Punch card.


When a student needs to go to the library, they will put their button next to one of the Library Buttons.   This will ensure that no more than 3 students go to the library at a given time.  It will also let me know which students are out of the classroom.  Every time a student completes a Book Blurb on a library book, I will punch their Reader Card with this adorable star hole punch.  I talked about my Book Blurbs and Book Bucks in a previous post.  Click here to see that post.



I had originally thought of giving them book bucks for every Book Blurb they complete, but, then I got worried about drama happening over missing book bucks etc.  I'll still use the money, but they won't store it in this pocket chart.  Rewards will be determined by the number of hole punches they receive.

I had a few requests for the number buttons to go up to 31  instead of 30, so they could also be used for a class calendar.  I updated the document and added the 3 additional pieces needed to create a calendar. There is also an extra blank button.

Click here or on the image below for your free number buttons and reader punch cards.






8 comments:

  1. What a great use of a pocket chart! Love the idea and the organization of it! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    Sweet Honey in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this!! Just pinned it. :) I might use this to replace my AR reading charts! Thanks for the free printables, too!

    Jessica
    Mrs. Heeren's Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm I LOVE that pocket chart! Where did you get it???

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers
    I’m having a giveaway! Come on over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the pocket chart! Where did you get it???

    Tonya
    Tonya’s Treats for Teachers
    I’m having a giveaway! Come on over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it at Mardels. It's a Christian Bookstore/Teacher Store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that I gave you the One Lovely Blog Award. I am your newest follower!

    Elissa
    http://www.hardworkingteachingmomma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The number cards are AWESOME!!!! Is there anyway to get a card with 31? I would love to use these cards on my calendar. THANK YOU so very much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. Young,
    I added the number 31 and the extra 2 cards needed to make the calendar. Thanks for sharing your idea :)
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete