15 February 2015

Morning Messages: Adjective Edition

This school year I seem to be busier than ever!!! I couldn't believe it when I saw the date on my last blog post!  I'm REALLY looking forward to summer, so I can finally spend some time on my neglected blog.  A HUGE thank you to everyone who continues to stick with me even though my posts are getting farther and farther apart.

Today, I really wanted to share something new I started awhile back.  My district began requiring us to do a daily morning message.  I had done morning messages in the past, but due to time constraints, they didn't always happen regularly.  I really tried to get back into the hang of doing them, and ran into the same problem this year.  My students LOVE doing them, but I was always struggling to find the time to create them and then write them out on chart paper.   I started with a bang and then they fizzled.

Another issue was that I really did not have time in my reading block for both morning message and a separate language lesson on top of all the other Balanced Literacy activities I do daily.  So, I came up with this idea to integrate my language and morning message.  I couldn't be more happier with the results.  Keep in mind that this isn't the only time I teach language.  In the morning message I focus on teaching the content, and then it's integrated into everything I do the rest of the day, especially in writing!

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Morning-Message-Adjective-Edition-1708058
Here is a little peek at what's included:
 

There are a total of 15 pages designed to teach students all about adjectives.  These activities are so much more than simply filling in blanks. Students can interact with the message by looking for abbreviations, contractions, possessives, proper nouns, pronouns, rhyming words, spelling patterns, and even counting syllables. I simply use my digital camera to display it on my Smart board.   Then, my students can come up and interact with the morning message on the Smart board.  My students love working on morning message, and I am thrilled that so much learning takes place during this simple 15 min. block of time.

This Adjective Edition introduces adjectives to students.  It also discusses comparatives, superlatives, and sensory adjectives.  The Day 5 page is designed to be completed independently.  This is a quick way to assess what they have learned over the week.  It is also a great way for them to interact with the morning message on their own.

This is an example of a Day 5 page.  I really wanted them to have to explain their thinking in their own words.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Morning-Message-Adjective-Edition-1708058
I am currently working on the Adverb Edition.   This summer I plan to complete the sets for sentences, nouns, and verbs.

As always, I'd love to give it away for free to the first 3 people that leave a comment and their e-mail.  Just a way to show my love to the wonderful teachers that follow my blog.
 

10 comments:

  1. I would love to try this! My email is jwarren@fostoriaschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Beautiful job thanks for sharing

    aimeeradtke@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your creation! My principal wants us to do more writing! Tstrong16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to try this for my 2nd graders. I'm in tx too! Adriana_e_gonzalez@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!!! Exactly what I need!!! Kmgnr18@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stuff you put together! I'd like to know how you use your camera to put something up on Smartboards. Is there any info out there about how to do that? I have a Mimio and assume it will work like a Smartboard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'm sure there are better ways than the way I do it. I project it on my smart board with my digital camera. and then open my smart board application on my computer. Then, I give the open smart board file a transparent background, so I can use the smart board pens to write on what is being displayed. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  7. I love Morning Messages - I even do 2 of them: one on the interactive whiteboard as a reminder of the date, daily tasks, specials.,, and a "real" one that incorporates what we're learning in class. I'm starting adjectives shortly. I usually post my Morning Message on my blog and instagram - I love for you to check them out some time.
    http://www.pinkwatermelons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Thanks bunches for sharing. I definitely checked yours out and love them!!! I used to write them out on chart paper, and loved how they turned out. I really just have to be better about managing my planning time. 45 min. flies by! When do you write yours?
      :) Colleen

      Delete
  8. Can I get one for being a first time visitor. 😉 I will be back! Sparetimehats@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete